Browsing archived posts:
MOON RIVER BREWING COMPANY, SAVANNAH – One of the most haunted places in Georgia is the Moon River Brewing Company. The famous microbrewery once served as the first guest house in Savannah – City Hotel.  The hotel opened back in 1821 and it was the scene of a wide variety of very unsavoury behaviour including, but not limited to violence, brawls, beatings and even shootings. This probably explains why the building now houses so many aggressive spirits who have been known to push patrons and even cut in line at the bar!  The basement is said to house a spirit who the staff have dubbed ‘Toby’. He is often seen in the basement area creeping through the shadows. There are cold spots and visitors often feel uncomfortable and claim to hear voices whispering in their ears!  The second floor also has  spirit connected with it. This one is said to be the ghost of James Stark. The shooting of James Stark by town physician Philip Minas is a famous one and depending on who you ask he died right there on the stairs or in the kitchen.  Either way, his spirit is frequently seen on the second floor.  Other hotspots include the women’s rest room in the dining area where female customers often find themselves unable to leave the cubicle because of an unseen force holding the door closed.  Female diners have also claimed to have had their legs touched by unseen hands while eating. The upper floors are said to be the domain of a Lady in White who pushes people down the stairs.  Construction crews have also been chased out of the building by unseen forces. The building is so haunted that they even offer ghost tours from time to time.
MOON RIVER BREWING COMPANY, SAVANNAH – One of the most haunted places in Georgia is the Moon River Brewing Company. The famous microbrewery once served as the first guest house in Savannah – City Hotel. The hotel opened back in 1821 and it was the scene of a wide variety of very unsavoury behaviour including, but not limited to violence, brawls, beatings and even shootings. This probably explains why the building now houses so many aggressive spirits who have been known to push patrons and even cut in line at the bar! The basement is said to house a spirit who the staff have dubbed ‘Toby’. He is often seen in the basement area creeping through the shadows. There are cold spots and visitors often feel uncomfortable and claim to hear voices whispering in their ears! The second floor also has spirit connected with it. This one is said to be the ghost of James Stark. The shooting of James Stark by town physician Philip Minas is a famous one and depending on who you ask he died right there on the stairs or in the kitchen. Either way, his spirit is frequently seen on the second floor. Other hotspots include the women’s rest room in the dining area where female customers often find themselves unable to leave the cubicle because of an unseen force holding the door closed. Female diners have also claimed to have had their legs touched by unseen hands while eating. The upper floors are said to be the domain of a Lady in White who pushes people down the stairs. Construction crews have also been chased out of the building by unseen forces. The building is so haunted that they even offer ghost tours from time to time.
Disctric Of Columbia – Old Stone House Museum          Built in 1795 by Christopher Layman, this old farmhouse is haunted by eleven ghosts. The most active has been dubbed “George.” He haunts the third-floor bedroom and has a violent hatred of women. George has been accused of shoving, strangling, knifing, and even raping women who venture into his room. Residents and visitors to the house, which is now a museum, have reported encountering his malevolent presence several times. Another ghost here is a lady wearing a brown, 1700s-style dress. She is seen near the fireplace. The phantom of a young woman, with tight ringlets in her hair, has been seen running up and down the staircase. The apparition of a stout woman in an antebellum gown is seen on the staircase and in the kitchen. Also seen in the kitchen area is the ghost of a man wearing short pants with long stockings. A man with long, dark blond hair, wearing a blue jacket, once materialized near a front room window. The wraith of a small boy named “Joey” has been seen running up and down the third-floor hallway, and a little black boy has also appeared there. A German carpenter, thought to be the ghost of Christopher Layman, has been reported in the house. Many people observed a Colonial gentleman who partially materialized in the master bedroom. Another unidentified Colonial man has been seen on the second-floor. The upper floors of this house were used by families living on the property, while the lower floors were rented out to travelers. In the 1930s, the house became a bordello, and then it was used as an auto shop. The National Park Service acquired the property in 1950 and restored most of the building.
Disctric Of Columbia – Old Stone House Museum Built in 1795 by Christopher Layman, this old farmhouse is haunted by eleven ghosts. The most active has been dubbed “George.” He haunts the third-floor bedroom and has a violent hatred of women. George has been accused of shoving, strangling, knifing, and even raping women who venture into his room. Residents and visitors to the house, which is now a museum, have reported encountering his malevolent presence several times. Another ghost here is a lady wearing a brown, 1700s-style dress. She is seen near the fireplace. The phantom of a young woman, with tight ringlets in her hair, has been seen running up and down the staircase. The apparition of a stout woman in an antebellum gown is seen on the staircase and in the kitchen. Also seen in the kitchen area is the ghost of a man wearing short pants with long stockings. A man with long, dark blond hair, wearing a blue jacket, once materialized near a front room window. The wraith of a small boy named “Joey” has been seen running up and down the third-floor hallway, and a little black boy has also appeared there. A German carpenter, thought to be the ghost of Christopher Layman, has been reported in the house. Many people observed a Colonial gentleman who partially materialized in the master bedroom. Another unidentified Colonial man has been seen on the second-floor. The upper floors of this house were used by families living on the property, while the lower floors were rented out to travelers. In the 1930s, the house became a bordello, and then it was used as an auto shop. The National Park Service acquired the property in 1950 and restored most of the building.
Dover, Delaware – Woodburn          Four ghosts haunt Delaware’s Governor’s Mansion. The great house was built in 1790 by a Revolutionary War Colonel, Charles Hillyard, on land given to his family by William Penn. When a Quaker by the name of Daniel Cowgill owned the house during the Civil War, a tunnel was dug from the cellar to the St. Jones River, and escaped slaves used the mansion as a stop on the Underground Railway. The house was haunted for over 160 years before it became the official home of the governor of Delaware in 1966. The first ghost at Woodburn appeared in 1805 to Lorenzo Dow, a Methodist evangelist staying there. He described the elderly “stranger upstairs” to the wife of the owner of the house one day. She told him no one else lived in the house, but later she saw the same apparition. In the 1870s, another house guest had to be revived from a fainting spell, when he saw the ghost of an elderly man sitting by the fireplace. The phantom could be the original owner, Charles Hillyard, who died in the house. Another ghost is a man in a powdered wig, who has a predilection for fine wine. Governor Charles Terry Jr. accused the ghost of draining off some of the vintage wines in the cellar of the mansion, and one of his servants saw the ghost help himself from a decanter in the dining room. Earlier residents placated the dry spirit by setting out wine decanters, which mysteriously drained overnight. The ghost of a slave kidnapper seems to stay near an old poplar tree in the yard. It is the tree from which he was hanged, although he was not strung up with a rope. He climbed the tree hoping to kidnap runaway slaves, when the house was owned by abolitionist Daniel Cowgill. But as fate would have it, the man slipped, and his head was caught between two branches. On moonlit nights his struggling ghost can be seen dangling from the gnarled old tree. His awful moans and chain rattling sometimes fill the inside of the house as well. The fourth ghost is a little girl in a red-checked, gingham dress. She was seen playing by the pool in the garden during the 1940s but has never been identified. At the January 1985 inauguration party for Governor Michael Castle, guests complained of an invisible presence tugging at their clothing, and one woman saw the apparition of a little girl in a corner of the reception room. The governor himself reported a few ghostly encounters and even allowed a teacher and three of her students to bring their tape recorders and Ouija boards to Woodburn. After spending the night, the children were genuinely spooked, insisting that a portrait of a woman in one of the rooms kept smiling at them.
Dover, Delaware – Woodburn Four ghosts haunt Delaware’s Governor’s Mansion. The great house was built in 1790 by a Revolutionary War Colonel, Charles Hillyard, on land given to his family by William Penn. When a Quaker by the name of Daniel Cowgill owned the house during the Civil War, a tunnel was dug from the cellar to the St. Jones River, and escaped slaves used the mansion as a stop on the Underground Railway. The house was haunted for over 160 years before it became the official home of the governor of Delaware in 1966. The first ghost at Woodburn appeared in 1805 to Lorenzo Dow, a Methodist evangelist staying there. He described the elderly “stranger upstairs” to the wife of the owner of the house one day. She told him no one else lived in the house, but later she saw the same apparition. In the 1870s, another house guest had to be revived from a fainting spell, when he saw the ghost of an elderly man sitting by the fireplace. The phantom could be the original owner, Charles Hillyard, who died in the house. Another ghost is a man in a powdered wig, who has a predilection for fine wine. Governor Charles Terry Jr. accused the ghost of draining off some of the vintage wines in the cellar of the mansion, and one of his servants saw the ghost help himself from a decanter in the dining room. Earlier residents placated the dry spirit by setting out wine decanters, which mysteriously drained overnight. The ghost of a slave kidnapper seems to stay near an old poplar tree in the yard. It is the tree from which he was hanged, although he was not strung up with a rope. He climbed the tree hoping to kidnap runaway slaves, when the house was owned by abolitionist Daniel Cowgill. But as fate would have it, the man slipped, and his head was caught between two branches. On moonlit nights his struggling ghost can be seen dangling from the gnarled old tree. His awful moans and chain rattling sometimes fill the inside of the house as well. The fourth ghost is a little girl in a red-checked, gingham dress. She was seen playing by the pool in the garden during the 1940s but has never been identified. At the January 1985 inauguration party for Governor Michael Castle, guests complained of an invisible presence tugging at their clothing, and one woman saw the apparition of a little girl in a corner of the reception room. The governor himself reported a few ghostly encounters and even allowed a teacher and three of her students to bring their tape recorders and Ouija boards to Woodburn. After spending the night, the children were genuinely spooked, insisting that a portrait of a woman in one of the rooms kept smiling at them.
Denver, Colorado – Cheesman Park          This innocent looking city park is built on top of a graveyard. The Mount Prospect graveyard, which came to be known as Boot Hill, was created in 1858. In 1873, officials renamed the place City Cemetery but only buried criminals, transients, and epidemic victims there. In 1893, the city gave notice that all bodies had to be removed within ninety days. Needless to say, most of the graves remained untouched. The city hired an undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies, put them in 1-foot by 3½-foot pine boxes, and deliver them for burial at Riverside Cemetery. It was a horrifying sight. Workers broke corpses into pieces to get them to fit into the mini-caskets. Body parts littered the ground and got mixed together in the process. Many of the graves were looted by the men digging them up. During the work, psychics warned workers the dead would return unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them. One worker, removing valuable brass from the coffins, ran hysterically from the graveyard saying a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses reported confused spirits wandering through their homes or appearing in mirrors. A huge scandal erupted, and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted, while an investigation was conducted. No one was able to sort out the mess the workers left behind. The remaining bodies were plowed under, and grass and trees planted. Today, sensitives detect an undertone of sadness and confusion at the site, and some say they can hear a low moaning sound coming from the restless ground.
Denver, Colorado – Cheesman Park This innocent looking city park is built on top of a graveyard. The Mount Prospect graveyard, which came to be known as Boot Hill, was created in 1858. In 1873, officials renamed the place City Cemetery but only buried criminals, transients, and epidemic victims there. In 1893, the city gave notice that all bodies had to be removed within ninety days. Needless to say, most of the graves remained untouched. The city hired an undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies, put them in 1-foot by 3½-foot pine boxes, and deliver them for burial at Riverside Cemetery. It was a horrifying sight. Workers broke corpses into pieces to get them to fit into the mini-caskets. Body parts littered the ground and got mixed together in the process. Many of the graves were looted by the men digging them up. During the work, psychics warned workers the dead would return unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them. One worker, removing valuable brass from the coffins, ran hysterically from the graveyard saying a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses reported confused spirits wandering through their homes or appearing in mirrors. A huge scandal erupted, and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted, while an investigation was conducted. No one was able to sort out the mess the workers left behind. The remaining bodies were plowed under, and grass and trees planted. Today, sensitives detect an undertone of sadness and confusion at the site, and some say they can hear a low moaning sound coming from the restless ground.